Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sitting Pretty


A second "Moon Pot" by Toshiko Takaezu now sits prettily where an old locust tree was in our lily garden.


Behind it are the rebuilt cellar doors to be painted Zuider Zee Blue from "Fine Paints of Europe" this Spring...


It is on display as you enter the circular drive...


This is one of Bill's first garden seats which I've placed next to the wood splitting and hammock area.


It is both pretty and comfortable to sit on in any direction...




Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Lighting Sale Month


October is lighting-sale month and I waited many months to buy designer lamps for Old Farm which were a good scale for a small house. Above is Pablo Design's Pixo Lamp which has a "lifetime LED bulb" and is flexible in three spots.


It hides on the bookshelf but still reaches out to light the bedroom armchair.


The living room got an Arne Jacobsen Floor Lamp that lights an armchair with a stem that leans gently into it.


The bedroom also has a Louis Poulsen PH 3.5/2.5 Floor Lamp...


Friday, October 17, 2014

Tight Weave Wicker

I found this tight weave wicker
chair on the roadside; spray painted it with gloss ivory Rustoleum, and added cushions covered in white denim. It will be our  bedroom desk chair.                                  

(most of my upholstery is done by the terrific Brown Brothers in Pennington, NJ)

The Victorian tight weave wicker chair to the left is very old and was stripped of old white paint to leave natural upstairs.

The similar aged tight weave wicker chair to the right is spray painted with flat black Rustoleum and is in the living room at Old Farm.

All of these chairs are a good scale and comfortable armchairs which are easy to maintain at Old Farm.


Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Upholstering a Headboard


Here is the antique Irish headboard I decided to have upholstered in the last yard of room fabric I had left; using the lighter side of the fabric. I bought the upholstery batting thinking I would do the work myself like the upstairs headboards, but all those curves and the cost of $125.00 to have it done with $40.00 more to have double piping added allowed me to afford having it professionally done with 1" foam underneath as well.


Two layers of thick batting were added to the upholstery foam, creating a very well padded headboard. The fabric was stretched smoothly over all of this and the cording I had made of thick white denim fabric is so tightly fit around the edges. (The lower curve will go around an outdoor light switch I was concerned about.)


The back has upholstery linen added to the bottom, but I will still be able to reattach the long boards that serve as legs when we decide how high we want this headboard to be.


Here it is in place and mostly hiding the outdoor light switch next to it, which is a good thing.

The headboards in the upstairs guest room I was able to sew myself using left-over fabric, two layers of thick batting, single cording and cotton duct covered thick cardboard for the back which velcro attaches to the headboards. These cost $20.00 for the materials I needed...save and splurge.