I believe this issue was why only builders had made offers on the property with plans to tear down the buildings. We offered a bit more and bought Old Farm with plans to somehow create a better stairs solution. Yikes.
During the fall of this past year, I spent an afternoon at Old Farm measuring and drawing up designs until I had the best plan. I moved the first step into the foyer and with 9 steps of 9” risers and 7” treads heading up towards the peak, there was room for a comfortable landing at the chimney wall to turn onto a last step to the left. Next I visited the Hoxie House (built in 1636) in nearby Sandwich with a tape measure, to see how my new stairs might fit a similar house. The exit stairs at the Hoxie House were the same proportions as were my back stairs home in Hopewell – almost.
At home I built a cardboard stringer (support for the steps) as a guide to pin on the wall once the stairwell was gutted. Bill liked the design and widened the last step to extend around the chimney side. With one week of Christmas vacation to gut the space and build new stairs, we hoped for the best in reconfiguring the chimney some, to accommodate the landing. On Christmas Eve, Bill and Christian spent the entire day sawing, chiseling and re-mortaring the chimney base, in order to fit our new framing. The next day the new steps were built and then the landing was built while a downstairs coat closet was roughed in. This closet was a big perk and another reason I wanted to change the direction of the stairs, since it also creates a desk space above in the upstairs now.
The vintage painting at the top of this picture was a birthday gift to me and titled “Whale’s Tails”. It will move to a nearby wall when stair railings are installed. The boys love this painting which is great because it is in their space. I am planning on steel cable rails upstairs, so you can still see the painting from the large bedroom. A cathedral space over the stairs was made by removing two wide original floor boards which we re-used for the stair landing. I wanted this opening to allow furniture up and down more easily and to add some drama in the foyer.
Christian finishing the stairs. The treads were made from the newer floor boards we took out.
The landing - some of the photos in this blog were late night cell phone shots.
View from the top...
I suddenly recognized the original stairs outlined by the newly exposed old wallpaper. They were much steeper with 12” risers and 7” treads! We are excited to have a comfortable/working solution now in such a historic house. The old wallpapers were quite beautiful but beyond saving.
Happy New Year Old Farm! XO